Monday, April 11, 2011

Leaving the Water Jar Behind

"The woman left her water jar beside the well and went back to the village . . ." John 4:18

The woman at the well is one of my favorite Bible stories. And I heard an excellent sermon on it yesterday at church. She is like an old friend who I look forward to hearing from again every now and then. No matter how many times I read it, I am intrigued by this lost woman who is found by Jesus. Her life transformed by an ordinary encounter with the extraordinary Christ. Chuck pointed out a line I had never really noticed In his sermon. "The woman left her water jar beside the well and went back to the village." A wonderful visual image of a life forever changed, but it made the practical side of myself come out.

"So what will she do when she needs water tonight to wash the dishes?" I thought, "Sure living water is great for quenching the thirsting soul, but our bodies still need physical water too." And even though she was changed inside, she still lived with a man who wasn't her husband. Leaving him would mean leaving her only means of support and security. It wasn't like she could pack up her belongings and make a way in the world on her own now.

Sometimes I wish the Bible told the stories of the people after they encountered Jesus. Sort of like a Biblical "Where are they Now?" What happened when life turned back to the ordinary? What happened after the Messiah left and the circumstances stayed the same? The challenge for the people Jesus touched in the Bible was no different than the challenges we face in living our lives. How do you maintain the changes brought about by an encounter with Jesus in our imperfect lives? Every Sunday I leave church with high ideals of a life made different by what I have heard and before I know it Monday morning is here and it all flies out the window. How can I leave the water jar behind when I still need water from the well to survive?

For me, I have learned some tricks which help me when the old ways call me back or when I must face the challenge of changing an old, well worn pattern.

  1. Recognize the old patterns for what they are – ineffective and destructive. In my own life, when I compare myself to others, I start slipping down the slippery slope into despair. By recognizing what I am doing before I slip too far, I am able to stop the descent and be open to more life giving thoughts.
  2. Think on what is good and life giving. I have found I need to be concrete in the beginning when I am trying to change my negative thoughts. So I keep scratch paper close by and write repeatedly the positive things I want to remember. Often it is things like: "I am loved, I am valuable, I am God's child" Or it can be scripture or parts of scripture: "God will Provide"
  3. Fight the good fight and don't give up. This battle can seem to go on and on and on. Sometimes I am tempted to believe I can't win and the old pattern is not really that bad. But then I am reminded not to settle for the old which wasn't enough. It is the water that cannot quench my thirst rather than the living water which will always satisfy me.

The woman at the well had to return to her life after Jesus left. While she was transformed by that encounter, she returned to the same house, the same man and the same village. It couldn't have been easy for her. Just like it isn't always easy for us when we know the new way is better but the old way is easier. I have listed a few things that have helped me. But I know there are many more. What are some ways to keep the new and transform the old?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Fara. I needed to read this. The old is easier but the new is better. I needed this reminder. I've been trying to "transform the old" myself lately. It's hard. I wish I had some good suggestions. Mostly, I've been trying to redirect my attention, keep busy with new patterns. Let's pray for each other.

    ReplyDelete