Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Lord’s Armies Defied

"Who is this pagan Philistine anyway, that he is allowed to defy the armies of the living God?"

1Samuel 17:26 (NLT)


 

David's words are so innocent. Even when I know the end of the story, I am struck by his naïve statement. His youth blinds him from the reality that bad things happen even to God's army. Isn't that true? An experienced warrior knows some battles are just not won. Good soldiers are lost at the hand of the enemy. And no matter how strong the faith or pure the quest, the armies of the living God will be defied. The battle- wearied among us don't hear a childlike faith but a silly child who in time will be beaten down like the rest of us.

Someone suggested I was melancholy recently. I replied I didn't think I was melancholy but rather just a realist. Bad stuff happens and choosing to admit the truth rather than pretend all is well seems like the wise way to live my life. Yes, at this time in my life, there have been a lot of bad things happening. To say divorce is an awful thing is an understatement. Every aspect of my life has been affected by the end of my marriage. This dark night has continued and the pain multiplied by the struggling of my children.

In the midst of this darkness, well-meaning and loving friends tell me of God's redeeming power. And tell me this pain is not for naught but that God will do a mighty work in and through and because of this pain. And out comes my melancholy realism. How is God going to bless me? Why couldn't he bless my marriage? What can be done when I feel so weak and the mountain so high? The words seem as empty and naïve as David's did to the soldiers who stood before the Giant Goliath. "Silly boy, if you only knew how life really was? You wouldn't speak such silly words."

And yet, I am beginning to think I need to be thinking more like David now and not my usually melancholy self. I am still for realism – yes, this dark night has been awful, terrible. It is something I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. And yet, how can I sit back and allow the ugliness of these depths defy the living God?

"What is this divorce anyway, that it is allowed to defy the armies of the living God?"

If I don't stand up against this giant in my life, I run the risk of the evil winning. Isn't that why David acted? He couldn't bear the thought of the living God being shown as anything but the victor He was. If I don't stand up to this enemy in my own life, how will God ever be glorified? And if I don't want my life to be defined by this dark night, I must stand up against it and fight for God's glory to be shown. So

"everyone will know that the Lord does not need weapons to rescue his people. It is his battle, not ours. The Lord will give you to us!"

1Samuel 17:47oHo

No comments:

Post a Comment