Thursday, November 4, 2010

Every Other Thing Takes Care of Itself

"To know this gives a sense of security and assurance for the future which is also new to my life. I seem to have to make sure of only one thing now, and every other thing "takes care of itself," or I prefer to say what is more true, God takes care of all the rest." Frank Laubach, January 29, 1930

As a modern woman, I take great pride in my ability to multi-task. Raised to be an independent person who never asks for help, I strive to keep all the balls in the air all by myself. When I became a single working Mom the juggling intensified but the sense of failure multiplied exponentially.

This week has been a particularly bad week. Work has been more demanding than usual with long hours filled with stressful situations. Home has its usual demands with kids schedules and responsibilities. The feelings of loneliness I battle now just get stronger and stronger to the point of despair.

Yesterday, in the midst of my experiment, I felt the pull to the old way rather than my new thinking. After a 12 plus hour day at work, I was driving home and got stuck in traffic because of an accident on the parkway. Alone in my car between my two worlds, I felt painfully alone.  I longed for arms to be waiting for me at home rather than two kids with demands for Mom. And I wanted someone to tell me everything was going to be.

I prayed and I talked to God. But I also sent texts in hopes someone would call me. No calls and I knew I would not find peace there. So I spent the rest of my commute calling out to God. And thinking of Frank's words, "I seem to only have to make sure of one thing."  One thing is all I have to make sure of - asking God into each moment and "every other thing takes care of itself." The rest of my drive was spent focusing on one thing and nothing else.

"My part is to live this hour in continuous inner conversation with God and in perfect responsiveness to his will. To make this hour gloriously rich. This seems to be all I need think about." Frank Laubach, January 29, 1930
In the moment, I cannot say I felt the glorious richness of a moment spent with God as described by Frank. However, this morning, I can say last night was more peace filled than other lonely evenings.  I didn't fall into old patterns which consistently lead me to sadness and anxiety. So maybe it was a small step forward. And I am ready to work more on the "one thing" and letting every other thing  take care of itself.

1 comment:

  1. Love this ... I was especially touched by your image of being stuck on the parkway in between your two worlds. Having been stuck on that same parkway too many times to count, it's a vivid image for me. And the transition from one world to another sometimes needs a longer car ride. God always finds a way to get me alone and away from everything but Him.

    And sometimes it's traffic on the parkway. :)

    ReplyDelete